In the first of a series of parent forums to be held over this year supporting our BYOD initiative, parents, teachers and students met last night in the library to hear a presentation by leading New Zealand expert John Parsons on the subject of Internet Safety.
John delivered a hard-punching and perceptive presentation of the serious risks and issues arising from increased internet use.
Awareness, pragmatism and affirmative action appears to be the key response to addressing these issues and very real dangers, and John had many practical suggestions that parents could implement that would keep their family members safe in a rapidly changing internet and social media dominated communication world.
John complimented the school on its values-based philosophy and practice, and believes this, coupled with our strong (home/school) community support are key foundations on which to build an awareness and unified response to the ever-increasing but manageable risks he was alerting us to.
If you are keen to find out more about the topic of internet safety, then please connect to the BYOD link on our website for readings, and you will find important handouts provided on the night.
We will be inviting John into the school again to talk specifically to staff and students about internet safety.
Keep a look out for further school forums later in the year that will be supporting parents and our BYOD initiative.
- Calendar and Mail
- Club Garin
- Why we do it this way
- “Right and wrong”: a values-based community
- A Healthy School
- A no-anger, no-blame school
- Bullying and Harassment
- Caring for Kids – pastoral care at Garin
- Creativity at Garin
- Depth and Breadth of Learning: Bloom and Gardner
- Garin Speak
- How do we foster spiritual development?
- How to make a complaint
- Internet Safety
- Managing behaviour
- Our Academic Focus
- Outdoor education plays key role in Garin’s holistic curriculum
- Pastoral Care at Garin
- Special students bring their own gifts
- The Garin Curriculum
- The Wider Curriculum
- Together: building the Kingdom
- Whanau – wrap-around care
- Why we don’t have detention
- Why we do it this way
- News and Events
- Our Hostel
- Our School
- Enrolment at Garin: are you eligible?
- Father Garin
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Motto
- Our Values
- The Character of a Catholic school
- The Garin Crest
- What drives a Catholic School?
- Uniform & Rules
- Vacancies at Garin