Scattered through the newsletters of early 2oo8 Head Teacher John Boyce wrote brief explanations for new families of some of the things we do at Garin.
As an Integrated school we are obliged by the Integration Act and our own agreement with the Crown to be clearly and specifically Catholic. Many of the things we do that are different from the way other schools handle the same issues relate in some way to that. But we are also influenced by the latest research on learning, and we have the benefit of an experienced and innovative staff who are open to change.
- Our Academic Focus
- Why we don’t have detention
- Pastoral Care at Garin
- How do we foster spiritual development?
- Together: building the Kingdom
- “Right and wrong”: a values-based community
- The Garin Curriculum
- Depth and Breadth of Learning: Bloom and Gardner
- Caring for Kids – pastoral care at Garin
- A no-anger, no-blame school
- Whanau – wrap-around care
- A healthy school
- Managing behaviour
- Servant Leadership
- Creativity at Garin
- Bullying and Harassment
- The wider curriculum
- Internet safety
- How to make a complaint
We also provide some explanations of terms that we collectively refer to as “Garin Speak“.