We are proud to be able to offer our International Students hostel accommodation in our own family hostels, or with carefully selected homestay families.
Garin College and the Hostels were founded in 2002 to serve the Catholic community in the top of the South Island, New Zealand.
We take that responsibility seriously. We work to help our Hostel families become a community. Our buildings are new and designed to meet the needs of High School students in a boarding situation. The intention is to create a caring and supportive ‘family’ environment where the students feel safe and valued. The students in the hostel live in houses that hold no more than 28 students. Each house has a ‘Live-In Supervisor’ who is responsible for the health and safety of all the students. Each student has a private space to sleep and live. There are two students to each bedroom and 3 bedrooms share a bathroom and toilet facilities. Computer suites, television lounges and kitchen facilities are available for all students.
It is important that parents emphasise the need for complete involvement in and out of the classroom. Involvement in sport, games, music and other activities is essential and should be encouraged whenever possible.
At Garin College Hostels international students have a great opportunity to practice their English with their student friends in the evening. Our Homestay Coordinator visits regularly and sometimes bakes a cake to take along.
Boarding school offers positive advantages:
- A safe living environment
- Develop friendships
- A fair system of discipline and clear rules
- Controlled religious environment
- Improved study conditions with set study times
- Extra-curricular activities with transport provided
- Learn independence and self discipline
Click Hostel to find out more about our hostel.
- Students staying with families in the local community
- Regular homestay activities
- 24 hour access to a Garin College staff member
- Knowing all our families personally
- Helping students plan their academic pathway and complete university applications
Click Homestay to find out more about homestay.