Welcome to Garin College.
We are a Catholic secondary school integrated into the New Zealand State School system, for day students and up to 56 boarders. We have places for 67 students who are not Catholic. We were founded in 2002 – so we are truly a twenty-first century school. This year we have 434 students, and we have welcomed international students from Thailand, the United States, Indonesia, Chile, Korea, Taiwan, Ecuador, Japan, Brazil and Germany. We have 39 trained, qualified and excellent teachers. We are proud of our staff.
The following fast facts provide more information about us.
- Garin College is a decile 8 school.
- We were established in 2002.
- We are located in Nelson, in the top-of-the-South Island.
- We see ourselves as a community school, and take pride in the way we include students and look after them.
- Our students achieve very well academically and in a wide range of other areas.
- We are passionate about the education of the “whole person” Our students are active in sports, arts activities, leadership, learning support, and Christian service:
- Sports: netball, rugby, soccer, basketball, hockey, cricket, tennis, aerobics, triathlon, skiing, athletics, swimming, cross country running, badminton, volleyball, tramping, rhythmic gymnastics, rock climbing, rowing, touch rugby, equestrian.
- The Arts: public speaking, Shakespeare, dance, debating, theatresports, drama, entertainment, choirs, instrumental music, bands.
- Christian Service: we have many opportunities for service including raising money to support people in need around the world, helping people in our school and community, and leadership in the school.
- Learning support: in the Library, Learning Week, study support
- The Journey: all students take part in a camp each year to test themselves in a new environment, to experience the beauty of Nelson’s natual environment, and to learn more about themselves.
- Everything is new: five fully equipped Science labs, two fully equipped computer rooms, internet and e-mail access for students (every student has an email address), computer access in every classroom, a workshop and technology suite, music/dance/drama rooms, art room, playing fields, outdoor courts with astroturf, gymnasium with a climbing wall and stadium seating for 300, a library
- Location: Richmond in the Nelson province of New Zealand. We are
- 10 minutes from the Nelson City airport
- 10 minutes from the beach
- 5 minutes from shopping in New Zealand’s fastest growing residential town, Richmond (and 15 minutes from the Nelson City shopping centre)
- just an hour from New Zealand’s most spectacular National Park: Abel Tasman National Park, and, an hour from skifield
- Our climate is wonderful – we normally lead New Zealand in sunshine hours – and the region is known for our forests, seafood and wine industries.